In this section: Depression | Bipolar
Extremes of mood (feeling low or highly energetic) over an
extended period of time can be detrimental. Depression and
bipolar disorder are common mood disorders. People with
depression suffer from poor self-esteem, feelings of unexplained
guilt, suicidal thoughts, inability to concentrate, loss of
appetite, tiredness and sleep disturbance.
The opposite is bipolar disorder - people may be extremely
confident, engage in risky financial and sexual activities, and
sleep less such that they are unable to carry out their daily
activities. These thoughts ultimately impact on physical
well-being, family, friends, school and work relationships. There
are many ways to help - providing information on ways to cope and
linking them to resources is important.
Facts and Figures
- Mood disorders are overall more prevalent among men in the
35-44 age group, while for women they are much more prevalent in
the 18-24 age group. The lifetime risk of developing depression is
12% for men and 25% for women.
- Depression can be inherited. The genetic risk of developing
clinical depression is about 40% with the remaining 60% being due
to factors in the individual's own environment.
- Depression is the forth most common problem managed in general
practice according to data on general practice activity for
- Women are more likely than men to experience mood
- Equal numbers of men and women develop melancholic
- Suicide account for slightly more than one-quarter of all male
deaths among the 20-24 age group.
- Between 1995-2005 in Australia, the rate of suicide among males
was four time higher than that of females.
- The highest suicide rate for males in Australia in 2005
was observed in the 30-34 years age group (27.5 per 100,000)
- According to a World Health Organisation study, countries that
reported the highest rates of adults who experience a mental
disorder during any 12-month period (prevalence) were USA (26.4%);
Australia (23.3%) and Ukraine (20.5%) in comparison to China
(4.3%), Nigeria (4.7%) and Italy (8.2%).
Information provided by the Mental